Monday, July 29, 2013

Mustard Seed Kind of Faith


My favorite verse has always been Matthew 17:20 (He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”) I even have a mustard seed charm that has been passed down in my family. The verse and charm has always given me hope and has helped me through a lot of tough times.
In my other blogs I have talked about what the Lord has been doing in my life over this past year. He has called me out of the boat into deeper waters and has really taken me out of my comfort zone. He has stripped me of nothing and has been building me back up piece by piece. I have been standing in faith for the Lord to restore my family and He has also been leading me down a path into Ministry. It has been a really crazy year. A lot of trials, heart ache and excitement all wrapped into one. But through it all I have held onto Matthew 17:20. That even with little faith I can move mountains.

I decided to do some research on the mustard seed. The mustard seed is a very small seed, but it grows into one of the biggest plants in the garden and then if left it grows into a scrub. For years I thought that the parable was about even if you have faith that is small that you could still tell a mountain to move. But looking more at the mustard seed what Jesus was really trying to tell us is that if we start out with small faith it will grow into bigger faith and then into faith as sturdy as a scrub.

That is what the Lord has been teaching me. If you can start with just a little faith over time it will grow into mountain moving faith. A very good friend of mine told me faith is like a muscle and the more you use it the stronger it will get. I have also learned that faith is not a feeling but a decision we make to trust God no matter what the circumstances look like and what is going on around you.

So are you standing in faith for something today? Well don’t get discouraged trying to have giant size faith to begin with. All you need is faith the size of a mustard seed and watch it grow into beautiful mountain moving faith.

Nikki Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment